Žatčany – coat of arms
zatcany.jpg (20821 bytes)
Žatčany lies 17 km south-east of Brno on an area of 968 hectares between Litava River and Hranice Creek at an altitude of 192 m.
The village belongs to the oldest Moravian settlements. There are several theories associated with the name of the village. One comes from the founder of the Žatec family, whose descendants were called Žatčané, other from the occupation of the inhabitants who were Žatec, but also from the original version of the name of the village “Satcane” (Sačané), ie fishermen, who caught fish in sacks.
The first mention of the village is found in the donation charter of the Olomouc church dating back to 1131, in which the settlement Žatčany (Satcane) is mentioned as part of the property of the Brno church. In the past, the village was undoubtedly more important, in 1247 the local church and the fara are mentioned, in 1248, King Václav I translated the game market from Měnín to Žatčan, “because it has been inhabited since ancient times”.
The municipal emblem is based on the oldest municipal seal and carries on the blue shield two cross-folded silver fish with red fins and tails, accompanied by a golden star above and below. The municipal emblem and the battalion were awarded by the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Republic in 1998.
The dominant feature of the village is the cultural monument of the Church of the Holy Trinity. The original Romanesque chapel or chapel, fenced by a stone unspoiled wall with preserved Gothic elements from the 14th century, underwent Baroque modifications in the 17th and 18th centuries. Next to the church stands the Baroque cemetery chapel of St. Mary Magdalen from the beginning of the 18th century, at the entrance to the cemetery is an early Baroque cross from 1766.
The village was surrounded on all sides by the ponds, inhabitants of Zatčany fed fish fishing. The ponds were gradually discharged and transformed into arable land. At the longest, the pond “Žatčanský”, which was launched in 1834, was preserved.
The municipality passes the boundary of the renowned area of the Slavkov battlefield. The monument to the battle is a former mill with part of the castle on the dam of the no longer existing Žatčanský pond. Five iron spheres from the “Battle of the Three Emperors” are walled in the shield of the “On the Dam” mill. After the dam of the pond around the burning mill, the losing troops of the allies fled under the artillery fire in the afternoon of 2 December 1805.
At present, 730 inhabitants live in the village. There are 298 houses in Žatčany, of which 236 are permanently inhabited, the remaining are mostly used as recreational facilities. The interest in housing in the village has increased in recent years, the long-lasting decline in population has stopped.
Traditions are maintained in the village. The costumes, relics, balls, Christmas parties, Mother’s Day celebrations, children’s theatrical performances, the Three Kings, the carnival masseuse and the Easter mourning are being kept.
The village pays great attention to the planting and maintenance of greenery: the linden alley on the village square has been restored, a new tree alley around the kindergarten, renovated parks and newly established lawns. At the edge of the village, two biocentres are planted on an area of 5.4 hectares. Žatčany were evaluated as the best in greenery in the Brno Region in the “Village of the Year 1996” competition, mainly thanks to the flower gardens, the exemplary care of the ancient cemetery and the complex layout of the village.